Finding a Dentist
Choosing a dentist and taking care of your oral health is a personal decision. You want a dentist you can talk to, learn from and feel good about visiting. Here are some ideas on how to find a dentist:
- Ask family, friends, neighbours or co-workers for suggestions
- Get a referral from your family doctor or local pharmacist
- If you’re moving, ask for a referral from your current dental practice
- Check the yellow pages for a list of dentist practices in your area. The on-line version may be helpful too.
How to Be a Wise Dental Consumer
Whether you’re choosing a new dentist or have been seeing the same one since you were a child, it’s always helpful to think about making sure you are getting the right service to suit your needs. Here are some things to consider:
- Is the dental office easy to get to from your home or office?
- Is there an appointment schedule that works for you?
- Is your dentist open to discussing treatment options?
- Is information provided about fees and payment plans before treatment?
- Does the dentist or hygienist explain techniques to prevent dental problems?
- Do you take the time to ask questions and take notes about your health concerns?